Leah Kirchmann’s vegan chocolate spelt biscotti:
These biscotti are a crunchy delicious treat for hosting your own mid-ride coffee stop right at home! Biscotti is a classic treat, with origins in Italy and different versions of these crunchy cookies are found around the world. This is a vegan take on the classic biscotti recipe that uses ground flax as an egg replacement. Flaxseed is a great way to boost the nutritional value of your baked goods, as it is high in Omega-3 fatty acids, fibre and other nutrients. Enjoy!
3 Tbsp (21 g) ground flaxseed
4 Tbsp (60 g) water
⅓ cup (43 g) olive oil
½ cup (100 g) sugar
2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
¼ cup (60 g) soy milk (or other non-dairy alternative)
1 ¾ cup (210 g) spelt flour (or whole wheat)
2 tsp (8 g) baking powder
¼ tsp (2 g) salt
⅔ cup 100 grams dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- If using whole flaxseeds, use a coffee grinder or food processor to grind them into flax meal. Mix together the flax and water and let sit for 5 minutes to thicken into a paste.
- Meanwhile, mix olive oil, sugar, vanilla, and milk together in a bowl. Add in the flax mixture. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Shape into two logs on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then slice into 1 inch pieces using a sharp knife. Lower oven temperature to 160°C. Return the biscotti to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove and let cool completely.
- Melt dark chocolate either in a double boiler on the stovetop, or very slowly in the microwave. Be careful not to burn the chocolate if using the microwave, stopping to stir every 15 seconds.
- Use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over the biscotti in any creative pattern that you like. Allow chocolate to set completely before pairing this treat with your favourite tea or coffee.